Re: notation of wind chimes

From: bart deruyter
Subject: Re: notation of wind chimes
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 20:51:08 +0200

David (Wright),

I mean the second option. There are three types of these wind chimes, wood, metallic and glass. The one of your image shows the metallic wind chime.

I've continued searching about other percussion instruments, like conga's. Lilypond and Musescore show different things. Musescore uses a one line staff, lilypond a two-line staff.
Confusing stuff for me.. study is needed :-) , recommendations about sources of info are still much appreciated :-).

grtz,
Bart

On Thu 28 Jul 2016 at 19:40:44 (+0200), bart deruyter wrote:
> ok, some progress :-)
>
> I found something with the aid of Musescore. I'm not sure if it's correct
> though. The Dutch translation of "wind chimes" I found on google translate
> was "wind klokkenspel", which sounds very unnatural, I assumed it just
> combined two words, wind and chimes, but Musescore seems to use the same.
> There is a bug in the instrument naming, it shows "wiind" (double i), which
> is a typo, but if that's a typo, chances are it is completely wrong too.
>
> Musescore shows a single line staff, I hope that is correct.
> >
> > this is not a lilypond-specific question, but I guess I might find
> > something here :-) . I'm writing down some music I first made in Ardour,
> > with orchestral sample libraries.
> >
> > I'm not quite familiar with percussion notation. I make use of wind chimes
> > in the music. it already seems impossible to find a good translation for it
> > in Dutch but finding a description of how to write it down seems too much
> > for google :-p.
> >
> > If someone here knows of a good, in depth online reference about the rules
> > of percussion notation in general, and/or about how to write something like
> > wind chimes, I'd very much appreciate it.

I don't know how others are faring, but I can't decide what you mean
by wind chimes. Are you talking about the sort of things that half the
houses in America have hanging in the porch:
http://www.shopsteins.com/magento/media/catalog/category/wind-chimes.jpg
or half the church praise bands have hanging off the drumkit:
http://www.sabian.com/img/cymbals/61174a-24-bar-chimes-aluminum_full.png
or something else?

Cheers,
David.