Re: Horizontal alingment of lyrics hyphens?

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Horizontal alingment of lyrics hyphens?
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 15:22:21 +0200

On 27.09.2016 14:45, Knut Petersen wrote:
Am 25.09.2016 um 11:34 schrieb Simon Albrecht:

Simon showed how to whiteout barlines, but Krzysztof also asked about aligning hyphens in verses. Have a look at the attached pdf and compare Lilyponds output to the hand-engraved original.

Seems like a good feature request. Could you please write a concise description with the examples, preferably as images, and write to address@hidden
Best, Simon

Any non-hackish solution would be anything but trivial, and I doubt that there is enough interrest in that area. One example: The feature request to allow the use of the original hyphen of the lyrics font is more than 6 years old ;-)

It’s always the same in LilyPond development: Everything is done by volunteers, and a feature gets implemented or a bug fixed, if someone has the time, skills and wants to do it. Nothing else. ‘Interest’ from others or even bounties play a negligible role. But it helps to have a tracker for the feature request, so the information isn’t lost in the archives.

Advantages of this solution: All that could be done in c / c++ / postscript, no need for scheme. As there is no need to understand and change the blackbox lilypond it's much easier and faster
to implement.

That’s an interesting statement. I’d’ve thought the c++ part was the ‘blackbox’ part of LilyPond and Scheme the connection to the surface… But to each his own.

If you were to fix <https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/1255/>, that would certainly be very welcome. The design part could be discussed, and the Scheme part is quite simple, I think (just adding text-interface to LyricHyphen?). But I’m afraid you’d have to work yourself through some code and shed light into the ‘blackbox’ yourself…

Best, Simon