Re: Dynamic text font

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Dynamic text font
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 06:55:39 +0200 (CEST)

Some more comments.

> When using customised fonts for dynamics, the following works just
> fine:
>
> \override DynamicText.font-name = "Noto Serif Bold Italic"

But the font name is *not* `Noto Serif Bold Italic'!  The font name is
`Noto Serif', and the style is `Bold Italic'.  That `Noto Serif Bold
Italic' accidentally works is due to the fact that `Noto Serif' has
more than the standard four shapes (`Regular', `Bold', `Italic', `Bold
Italic'), which means that font names are internally constructed in a
different way – OpenType supports *three* different models how font
names can be constructed (the last one introduced in the most recent
OpenType version 1.8).

For example, I have installed the standard four `New Times Roman'
fonts on my computer.  If I say

  fc-match "Times New Roman"

I get

  times.ttf: "Times New Roman" "Regular"

However, if I say

  fc-match "Times New Roman Bold Italic"

I get

  arial.ttf: "Arial" "Regular"

which is my fallback font if there is no match.  To get the bold
italic variant I have to say

  fc-match "Times New Roman: style=Bold Italic"

> But I have a new commercial Open Type font on the Linux system,
> correctly installed as proven by being able to use it in other
> applications:
>
> \override DynamicText.font-name = "Core Slab M 27 Cn ExtraLight Italic"
>
> but lilypond does not use it, despite reporting its existence using
> lilypond -dshow-available-fonts.

What exactly does `lilypond -dshow-available-fonts' display for your
font?

BTW, to select `Times New Roman Bold Italic' in lilypond I have to say

  \override DynamicText.fontname = "Times New Roman, Bold Italic"

I thus guess that

  \override DynamicText.font-name = "Core Slab M 27 Cn ExtraLight, Italic"

works for you also.  The use of the comma is admittedly badly
formulated in the documentation.

    Werner