Re: Configurable Rests

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Configurable Rests
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 09:10:50 -0400

Hi Werner,

> - a "r4", if the instrument is on a single staff
> - a "r4", if the instrument is \voiceOne but doesn't have this rest
> common with the other instrument
> - a "h4\rest" for a common rest if the instrument is used as \voiceOne
> and
> - a "r4" for a not common rest on \voiceTwo and
> - a "s4", if the instrument is used as \voiceTwo

Have you tried \partcombine?
<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/multiple-voices#automatic-part-combining>

If I understand correctly, it will do exactly what you want; if not, you could
always provide us with a compilable example that we can debug for you.

> It would be very fine if there would be a global switch where the
> procedure could look how it should produce its output and it would be
> fine if this would be possible with more than one pair of instruments in
> a score.

\partcombine will only properly handle one pair of instruments at a time, but
you can have an arbitrary number of staves each of which includes a pair of
combined parts.

I hope this helps!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer