Setting the number for \mark \default

From: Mojca Miklavec
Subject: Setting the number for \mark \default
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 09:52:36 +0100

Hi,

I'm using \markDefault from the following code for marking parts of music:

stdMarkFormat = {
  \set Score.markFormatter = #format-mark-box-letters
}
markDefault = {
  \stdMarkFormat
  \mark \default
}

But if I follow:
    http://flaminghakama.com/adding-a-coda
to make Coda a "score" on its own, then the numbering is reset and
starts from A again.

  \score {
    \new StaffGroup <<
      \new Staff {
        ... (the rest of the piece)
        \markDefault

  \score {
    \new StaffGroup <<
      \new Staff {
        ... (the coda)
        \markDefault % starts from A, undesired

An example to overcome this is provided in
    http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/bars
namely to use something like
    \mark #8

but I would like to reset the counter before starting writing the coda
and if I use "\mark #3", then this prints out an unboxed mark at the
place where I don't want it.

Surely I can just use
    \stdMarkFormat
    \mark #4
at the place where I wanted a boxed D, but that somehow defeats the
purpose of macros.

Is there a way to just set the counter without printing the mark
itself? (I would like to set the counter at the beginning of Coda and
then use \markDefault where appropriate just like everywhere else.)

Documentation points to
    http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/internals/rehearsalmark
but I don't see any obvious way to set the number.

Thank you,
    Mojca

PS: An alternative question would be

    How to break the score without introducing 'artificial pauses'
like 'hide everything, then \repeat unfold 3 { s1 }' as in
    http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=190

but it makes sense to ask this separately.

PPS: please CC me.