Re: Font problem

From: Thiago Censi
Subject: Re: Font problem
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 20:34:31 -0200

Hi, Mark.

I knew there was nothing wrong with the code itself, I wanted some directions with the font problem. I sownloaded the liilypond file here:
http://eugenecormier.com/?p=157

And this is what it looks like after compiling on my system:
http://i.imgur.com/uZMzfZw.png

Michael, the actual sheet music (don't know the precise word in English, sorry) looks ok. But if I put any text, even change the time to a 3/4, it screws up. I tried changing the font size of the title. It doesn't work when I use #1 or fractions:

piece = \markup { \fontsize #1 \bold "PRAELUDIUM I" }

But if I put something like #30 I can see it is bigger because the whole top of the file becomes a black bar.

I suspect it is a PDF/font problem (though it also happens with PNG, but I don't know if the compiling proccess is the same). I'll keep trying ;-)

On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 1:24 PM, Gerdau, Michael <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Thiago,

> I am new to Lilypond. I am on Xubuntu 16.04 and installed the packages via
> the default repositories. I am having a problem with the fonts used in the
> score. I don't know if it is a Lilypond problem or a package missint or
> something else. I tried looking in the manual, Google and etc, but didn't
> get lucky (or maybe didn't ask the right questions).
>
> Here is the code used:
> \version "2.18.2"
>
> \header {
>     title = "Test"
> }
>
> \relative c''{
>     \time 3/4
>     % \tempo "Andante"
>     a4 a a4. a8
> }
>
> Here is the png generated (PDF looks the same):
> http://imgur.com/Vi4ZxLU

That is exactly the same problem I'm having for some time with my system as
well. Uncommenting \tempo as well as removing the quotes around the String after
\tempo has nothing to do with it though. On my system any score that involves
any text (title, page numbers, lyrics, dynamics) has the letters magnified by
about a factor of ten. Kerning and placement is as if the letters had their
normal size though.

I don't think it is a lilypond problem as such since my system used to work just
nicely for a long time. Only recently after upgrading some packages or playing
with some different desktop/window manager this behaviour appeared. My current
working guess is that by one of these actions some "font scaling factor" (or so
- I lack a better word) somewhere got corrupted and so far I have not been able
to find out what that is or how to revert that setting.

I'm pretty sure if I'd reinstall my system that problem would be gone.

Any hint as to where/what I could/should look at appreciated.

Kind regards,
Michael
--
Michael Gerdau       email: address@hidden