Trolling and unacceptable behaviour on the list

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Trolling and unacceptable behaviour on the list
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 20:14:25 +1100

Dear Sir,

As a reasonably long term and active member of the mailing list, I am at the point of having to unsubscribe due to offensive, trolling, arrogant and vitriolic postings by one address@hidden, a person who, when asked politely refuses to give his name, refuses to provide minimal working examples again when politely requested to do so, hurls abuse at good hearted list members, seems to take pleasure in deriding lilypond and programmers in general with ranting and irrational arguments, and who shows all the very worst aspects of a list troller to an extreme degree the like of which I have not seen in forty years.

Perhaps the aim of this person is to destroy the functioning of the list. If so he is succeeding. It takes a very sick pathology to enjoy such a thing. The amount of abuse hurled at us by the person is unacceptable by any standard. I am particularly offended by this person’s personal attacks on Kieran Macmillan, and as a professional programmer by his attacks on my profession and the integrity of computing professionals in general, and by his failure to understand that lilypond is created by the extraordinary generosity of open source contributors over several decades.

As a list moderator, I would say that by now you should step in and intervene in this. Blacklisting the person in question does not help me personally as I still get all the replies and upsetting noise they are creating. I am aware that your policy appears to be one of complete non-intervention. But it strikes me as unfair that I have to unsubscribe to avoid the postings of this deliberately disruptive person. I am certain others feel this way.

Sincerely

Andrew Bernard