Re: How to build LilyPond.app on macOS?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: How to build LilyPond.app on macOS?
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2016 18:06:47 +0100

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Can someone please provide me a hint about how to build
>>> LilyPond.app on macOS (natively, without any cross-compiling,
>>> ideally without compiling any dependencies like ghostscript etc.)?
>>
>> It is not meant to be compiled natively.
>
> This is not true.  However, we rely heavily on the GNU stuff (in
> particular the gcc compiler), which is not native to MacOS.

That is a mischaracterization.  We try _not_ relying on GCC specific
stuff.  At the current point of time, the last Clang++ problems were
because of Clang not being standard-compliant, not because of us using
GCC-specific code.  I decided not to backpedal on the responsible
changes here because

a) get a grip, Clang++.  Really.
b) it was a change considerably simplifying code and maintenance.

With other changes, we have removed GCCisms and worked around Clang++
problems.

Nevertheless, MacOSX as a build environment sucks, and it doesn't
particularly help that the resulting binaries may not be distributed as
free software under the GPLv3 (I forgot the responsible conditions for
the MacOSX SDKs).  So it's strictly only useful for people compiling
themselves and they can't put the results on a server or so.

I am not even completely sure that our cross-building environment is
clean: one might have to forego the Cocoa libraries and instead compile
native to Darwin.  LilyPond may be salvageable in that manner.
Frescobaldi, as a graphical application, likely not.

--
David Kastrup