Re: Forcing some horizontal space between two notes

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Forcing some horizontal space between two notes
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 00:47:00 +0100

Am 03.01.2017 um 17:39 schrieb Alexander Kobel:
> On 2017-01-03 17:25, Urs Liska wrote:
>>> Geez! Apparently there's not just a need for irrational tuplets, but also
>>> Bézier curves of arbitrary degrees for slurs! Some NURBS anyone? ;-)
>>> I assume you joined two slurs for that huge one due to the lack of better
>>> options?
>> Internally that's what happens. But by now it's not necessary anymore to
>> fiddle around with this (and especially keeping the slur ends in sync).
>> Last September I wrote a function \compoundSlur [...]
>> I reattach a rendering *with* both the grid and the helper crosses and
>> lines which significantly helps with shaping such a curve. The
>> interesting point is that you can add an arbitrary number of inflection
>> points like this, and the function will automatically make sure the
>> segments are well connected, and with a straight line (i.e. the neighbor
>> control points are in exactly opposite directions).
> Without time to look in the details now: nice one. Personally, I find it
> sometimes more convenient to adjust piecewise cubic curves than higher order.

The title of the first thread is actually misleading, as the OP was
quickly told that it's not higher order bezier curves he was actually
asking for.
This is actually what my function does: chaining regular LilyPond slurs
together.

> The only drawback is that the thickness varies for each individual slur.
> Negligible for this example, maybe, but it's certainly not what one expects
> for long horizontal slurs.

Yes, this limitation was discussed quite a bit back then, and I didn't
have a chance to investigate it further (as it would probably involve
meddling with the C++ part of the code). I would also prefer having both
ends of the complete object behave like a slur and everything in the
middle as a plain line.
Indeed, flat slurs are a desideratum my compound slurs can't really
solve. There are quite some examples in the original Durand edition of
the Ravel, where it would also be interesting to compare with the Henle
rendering that suffers from compromises in this area, IMHO.

Best
Urs

https://openlilylib.org
http://lilypondblog.org