Re: Forcing some horizontal space between two notes

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Forcing some horizontal space between two notes
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 00:29:08 +0100

Am 03.01.2017 um 17:10 schrieb Mark Knoop:
Great start Urs!

Thanks :-)

Why do you invert the stem direction in the first beat
from (at least my copy of) the original? Having the RH 6tuplet stems up
would seem to allow for closer staff spacing...

That's because I didn't look at that score. I copied it from the 2010 Henle edition. Actually the trigger to do finally enter this was to see that Henle's slurs suffer from the same shortcoming as my compound slurs: becoming so thin at the inflection point(s).
Now looking at the original edition I think you're right, the stem directions are more favourable in terms of space. I don't know if that's an engraving or editorial decision at Henle.

Lots of lilypond challenges in this piece.

Fortunately only for LilyPond and not for the player ;-)

Looking forward to your
compound slurs on the penultimate page of the final movement!

I don't know if I'm going to do a lot of them.
But that would actually make a terrific project for a "free edition" ...

Best
Urs