Re: Experience with several import filters

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Experience with several import filters
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 00:41:41 +0100

Am 03.01.2017 um 16:47 schrieb address@hidden:
Urs:
thanks for the detailed feedback. Could I summarize this as "it does
work but not really satisfactorily. Depending on the kind of input there
will be substantial cleanup to be done"?
Yes, I think so.

Do you actually use it in your work,
I have tried to use midi2ly but found I wanted to clean up the output
so I made the script http://turkos.aspodata.se/git/musik/bin/tidy_midi.pl
However I didn't like result so I started my work on
http://turkos.aspodata.se/git/musik/bin/miditoly.pl to see if I could
do any better. Part of my answer was what I started to describe in
http://turkos.aspodata.se/git/musik/bin/midi_to_lilypond.tex

or did you just make something up upon my question?
I don't understand what you mean by "make something up", it sounds
negative, but I don't believe you ment it that way.

Definitely not. What I tried to express is: were you able to write your summary because you know the problems from previous work or did you start to investigate the topic upon my question?
But I guess that's clear by now.

///

BTW, there is another converter in http://web.mit.edu/music21/ but I
have some trouble installing and running it (missing lilypond).  And
I'm getting trouble compiling lilypond itself, partly because of the
guile-1.8 req. So I haven't hade any chanse to test it.

Thanks for that pointer. I knew of music21 but wasn't aware that it can be considered a LilyPond converter. Should definitely have a look at that as well.

Best
Urs

Regards,
/Karl Hammar