Re: Replicating chord slurs

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Replicating chord slurs
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2017 23:53:12 +0100

> On 2017-01-05 1:04 PM, Thomas Morley wrote:
>> setting spanner-id via \=... has still some shortcomings.
>>
>> In _this_ and only this case I'd go for a complete stencil-rewrite,
>> tailored at mass (every bow starts/ends at same height.
>
> Nice!  I can see where this has its weaknesses too: it wouldn’t work if
> the two chords weren’t approximately at the same height,

Ofcourse, it's a special override for a special, single situation.

> but it’s
> perfect for this case.  Thank you.
>
> (Now I have to make an editorial decision whether to keep this, or to
> use standard LilyPond chord slurs––i.e., just one single slur curve––and
> be consistent throughout the project.)
>
> Question about the code, though:  I can kinda-sorta follow what it’s
> doing, or at least I can figure out where in the reference manual to
> look up the details.  But whence the numbers 0, 1, 2.4, & 3.7?  Are
> these trial-and-error numbers?

Yep.
One could probably reduce them with reading out the original stencil
extent, but still, at least two bows would need correction anyway, so
I decided: to much work for one-time-use

Btw, I didn't clean things like (- whatever 0). So follow readers have
a hint where to insert custom values...

And ofcourse it's all fragile like hell, but doable :)

If you could friend yourself with the possibities Abraham and Davd
demonstrated I'd go for it.

Cheers,
  Harm