Re: grace note suppresses instrument name!

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: grace note suppresses instrument name!
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 11:48:21 +0000

On Sun, 2017-01-22 at 12:23 +0100, Thomas Morley wrote:
> > Consider:
> >
> > \version "2.19.43"
> >         \new Staff
> >             <<
> >                 \set Staff.instrumentName = \markup "Treble Recorder"
> >                  {
> >                    \grace f'8
> >                    g'4  g'
> >                 }
> >             >>

> > with the grace note the instrument name is not printed, without it, it
> > is. Should the syntax used here work? I realize that by replacing << >>
> > with {} it works, but is there a good reason why this <<>> syntax
> > suddenly fails when a grace note starts the music?
> >
> > Richard
>

> Hi Richard,
>
> the << ... >> initializes simultaneous music.
>
> So the first expression is: \set Staff.instrumentName = ...
> The second: { \grace f'8 ... }
>
> Maybe you see it already: it's issue 34, grace-synchronization.
> And indeed the following works:
> \new Staff
>   <<
>       { \set Staff.instrumentName = \markup "Treble Recorder" \grace s8 }
>       { \grace f'8 g'4  g' }
>   >>
> Ofcourse nobody wants this sort of code.
>
> Best you can do is setting the instrumentName in \with {}:
> \new Staff
>   \with { instrumentName = \markup "Treble Recorder" }
>   { \grace f'8 g'4  g' }

Thank you very much for the explanation. Multiple \with{} clauses aren't
supported in 2.19.43 which makes automatic generation somewhat awkward,
but I guess I'll have to bite that bullet.

Thanks too, to David for his reply - I didn't realize how the grace note
typesetting moment is assigned.

Back to the drawing board...

Richard