Re: Section repeat

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Section repeat
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2017 08:06:23 -0600

On Thu 02 Feb 2017 at 13:41:52 (-0800), Flaming Hakama by Elaine wrote:
> > When the whole section is repeated when it has alternatives, how is that
> > normally engraved? Specifically, the section has two alternatives, but is
> > repeated in full. One way is to use Score.repeatCommands for alternatives
> > markup "1. 3" resp "2. 4", but then the "2." does not have a repeat. One
> > can of course write four alternatives, but I was looking for something more
> > compact.
> >

> I'd say, in general, you need as many alternatives as there is unique
> material.
>
> Only 1 & 3 are the same, so you can combine those.
> 2 and 4 differ

In what way? In the OP it said that the music was "repeated in full".
Indeed, in the example, the same notes are present in 2 and 4, just
as the OP promised.

> in that 2 needs a repeat barline at the end of the measures,
> you need one alternative each.

Eh? Are you telling me that I can't write the first rendition
any more because, in the second, only 1 needs a repeat barline
at the end of the measure, and 2 *mustn't* have one?

IOW what you seem to be saying is that writing ":|." at the
end of a measure means that under no circumstances should you
continue past that barline to the next measure—so my first
rendition generates an infinite loop.

> This means three alternatives:
> 1 & 3
> 2
> 4
>
> Which is to say, I agree with how you did it in the second half of your
> example.

Cheers,
David.