Re: Multiple markings

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: Multiple markings
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2017 10:34:14 +0000

Thank you all for the various suggestions regarding this problem.

Some of the latest posts have left me slightly bewildered: I wasn't
aware that there was a problem with having a RehearsalMark and a
MetronomeMark at the same point in a piece.  Of course, they are
formatted and aligned differently by default.

I am currently using v.2.19.48, so may be I just never needed both at
the same time when I was using 2.18 or earlier, but if that is the case
it surprises me.

In the instance that I originally enquired about it is of academic
importance in any case, because I need a title, a barline fermata and a
tempo marking all at the same double bar.

Following Wols's suggestion of formatting multiple marks as a column
within a single mark, I came up with the following solution, which
works pretty well.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.19.48"

\markuplist \table-of-contents

songTitle = "This Song"
songName = { \once \override
             Score.RehearsalMark.self-alignment-X  = #-0.79
             \mark \markup \column {
               \transparent "spacer"
               \bold \songTitle
               \center-align \musicglyph #"scripts.ufermata" } }

{ c''1
  \tocItem \songTitle
  \songName
  c''2 b' c''1
}

The value of self-alignment-X has to be found by trial and error, but
is then good, it seems, for score and parts.  The horizontal alignment
of the title in relation to the fermata (and therefore to the barline)
could also be altered fairly easily.

The transparent item is there just to increase the space between this
system and the preceding one - it's the only way I could find to do it,
but I am sure there must be better ways.

David