Re: tuplet slurs

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: tuplet slurs
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 18:18:48 -0600

Hi Werner,

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 12:53 PM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> For voices with lyrics it is common to put triplet indications always
> above the staff, using the following rules.
>
>    . stems up or down, no beam: as usual (i.e., a number and a bracket
>      at the top, as if using \tupletUp)
>
>    . stems up, with beam: as usual (i.e., a number over the beam)
>
> The last case, however, is unusual:
>
>    . stem down, with beam: a number and a *slur* at the top.
>
> I would like to have a single command that makes lilypond do that
> automatically.  Has this been requested before?  A quick searched
> yielded nothing.
>
> Hopefully, the attached images makes everything clear (note that I
> don't need full brackets).

It strikes me that I've seen code somewhere that uses slurs instead of
brackets.  I find this:
http://www.lilypondforum.de/index.php?topic=1658.0

The results look great, but of course, the slur is broken.  It might
not be hard to modify that routine to do what you want..

How are you duplicating the other example, with an unbroken bracket?
If you displace the TupletNumber in an ordinary bracket, the gap will
remain.

Is the bracket notation fairly common?  I've certainly seen the
slur-above notation.

I'm asking because it might be fairly easy to modify the C++
TupletBracket stencil code to produce such slurs based on a context
property.

 Also, a full bracket might be used if the tuplet number wouldn't
intersect the bracket.  Maybe this should be default behavior?  I know
I've seen the bracket notation in Britten, albeit without the tuplet
number.

David