Re: Arranging lyrics between 2 staves

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Arranging lyrics between 2 staves
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 12:20:09 -0500

Hi David,

> That seems to work perfectly.

Glad to hear it.

> I'll experiment a bit with the 2 VerticalAxisGroup settings, to see if
> I can understand the effect each of them has, for my greater understanding!

Excellent.

Speaking of greater understanding… Here is a version in which I use variables —
if there really are no differences in pitches (only octaves), this approach
(which I actually recommend in every piece!) might save you some effort and
make your code far more easily maintained:

\version "2.19.48"
\language "english"

\layout {
    \context {
        \Lyrics
        \override VerticalAxisGroup.staff-affinity = #CENTER
        \override VerticalAxisGroup.nonstaff-relatedstaff-spacing.padding = #1.5

the_notes = {
    g2 g a1 g2 g a1
    \bar  "|."
}

the_lyrics = \lyricmode {
    Words just right! Words just right!
}

\new StaffGroup <<
    \new Staff
    \new Voice = "upper" { \clef "bass" \the_notes  }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "upper" \the_lyrics
    \new Staff = "lower" { \clef "bass" \transpose c c, \the_notes }

Best,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info