Re: Differing header position depending on tallest letter

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: Differing header position depending on tallest letter
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 12:27:45 +0100

Hi Peter,

On 2017-03-09 17:32, Peter Crighton wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I noticed that the title (and other header types) doesn’t get vertically
> positioned according to its baseline (which would make sense to me), but to
> its cap height or ascender height.

According to NR 4.1.4
<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/flexible-vertical-spacing-paper-variables#structure-of-flexible-vertical-spacing-alists>,
 the reference point of top-level markups is indeed their highest point, not
the baseline (as opposed to, e.g., Lyrics lines).

> So if there are several scores with titles with different maximum letter
> heights, the scores will begin at different vertical positions.

Yes, unfortunately. If you want consistent spacing (assuming that you don't put
anything fancy in your titles, such as graphics or multi-line stuff, and that
you use a font with sane glyph heights), you should be fine with an additional
\strut in the title (see
<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/other#index-_005cstrut-1>).

  title = \markup \concat { \strut "Title" }
  title = \markup \concat { \strut "e" }

You could also adjust bookTitleMarkup or scoreTitleMarkup (see NR 3.2.2
<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/custom-titles-headers-and-footers#custom-layout-for-titles>
 and /usr/share/lilypond/*/ly/titling-init.ly or the equivalent on your system
for the default) to take that into account; e.g., change the line

  \fromproperty #'header:title
  \concat { \strut \fromproperty #'header:title }

in the definition of bookTitleMarkup.

HTH,
Alexander