Re: What can Premusic do that others can't?

From: Malte Meyn
Subject: Re: What can Premusic do that others can't?
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 00:27:43 +0100

Am 20.03.2017 um 22:48 schrieb address@hidden:
> MusicXML […] but it is an unwise solution here.
As you mentioned several times, you’re not a programmer so probably
others know a little better about how to store music in a way that
programs can easily read.

> ABC […] lacks the perfect and intuitive vertical extensibility of Premusic.
PSP might be relatively easy to describe/define. But not intuitive
(think of D# for D sharp 3, which should be D§ on a german and Dℓ on a
neo keyboard layout).

> Extensibility speaks for itself. […] Every column of squares can be
> elaborated on by putting more information above it.
So for double sharps/flats:

[]ac   +       -
[]pi  G#G#G3g3g3

Very clever.

> It looks to be compatible with even the most complicated music. It's very
> easy to read and compose […]
No (see David’s tuplet example), no and no.

> I have invented the perfect plaintext file format for premusic.
“Perfect” is a strong word but I’m sure you perfectly know what you’re
talking about.

> Before you dismiss my format, […] I implore you to at least try composing in
> a text editor.
I do it all the time: Frescobaldi is the editor of my choice.

So now that I’ve ranted about things that others have thought about more
than me I feel a bit sorry. I’ll try not to do so again.