Re: What can Premusic do that others can't?

From: Flaming Hakama by Elaine
Subject: Re: What can Premusic do that others can't?
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 16:47:13 -0700

On 3/21/17 4:35 AM, Malte Meyn wrote:

Am 21.03.2017 um 06:46 schrieb address@hidden:
A composer who uses an irrational tuplet is a composer who is going out of his way to exclude his music from comfortable notation.
Oh, I think that these irrational tuplets are comfortable to write easy
to understand if you

Why one calls them 'irrationals'? they are rational number ratios just as any ordinary notation, unless you're referring to a tuplet of π (pi) or log2 3...

They look difficult because we put them in a special "difficult" place. Unlike Carnatic musicians, who just learn rationals and "irrationals" as two categories of the same things since the beginning. Stop that.

There are so many other reasons why this "premusic" format is a silly concept.

Do we really need to bring up the topic of "irrational tuplets" to make this point?

The only time I've even seen an attempt at irrational durations was in the one other thread on this list that was actually more annoying, more aggressive and differently clueless.  I believe the intended durations were 1/sqrt(71) or something equally undiscernable.

My general observation on this "premusic" concept is that it is an attempt to abstract some aspects of musical content (namely, pitch name, rhythm and lyrics), and ignoring others (like dynamics, tempo, even the octave of the pitch is ambiguous in your "perfect" system, as well as tempo, markup, etc.), without any consideration of how to actually notate it.

Even if this format were useful for someone to input or edit the incomplete musical information it models, in order to actually engrave a piece of sheet music, you would have to have another layer on top to contain all of that information:  grouping for beams, the orientation of slurs and articulations, barlines, how staves are grouped into staff groups, etc.

I hope that what you take away from this discussion includes:

o You have not fully considered what is required to define music even in an abstract way, so your design is not useful for people who are trying to process, manage or manipulate musical content.

o You have not at all considered what information is required to define sheet music (which goes beyond the abstract musical representation), so your design is not useful for people who are trying to produce sheet music.

o Your proposed file format--even assuming that we don't care about all the ways in which the problem it claims to solve is not even considered, let alone solved--is not convenient:  it is difficult to view, to read and to manage.

Best of luck,

David Elaine Alt
415 . 341 .4954                                           "Confusion is highly underrated"
address@hidden
self-immolation.info
skype: flaming_hakama
Producer ~ Composer ~ Instrumentalist