Re: strict notespacing with lyrics

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: strict notespacing with lyrics
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2017 10:08:02 -0400

Hi Johannes,

any ideas how to get a more even - ot lets say rhytmic - distribution of the notes with lyrics?

This is an ongoing frustration I have. (I *just* talked about this off-list with Abraham a few days ago!)

may be there is a way to get a little bit more even spacing?

There are many ways — but they all require manual effort. Here are two obvious ones.

SOLUTION #1: Increase the default score spacing.

Add

\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
    \override SpacingSpanner.base-shortest-duration = #(ly:make-moment 1/128)

at the top of your score (adjusting the 1/128 as desired). Result:

SOLUTION #2: Shift the ‘Herrn’ to the right [from its default, which is centred on the notehead].

Add

    \tweak self-alignment-X #-0.5

right before “Herrn” (adjusting the -0.5 as desired). Result:

This isn’t perfect, but it’s better — and you can do more, by adjusting other syllables.

There are other ways, but this should get you started.

Hope this helps!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info