Re: Line breaks on a "where allowed" basis

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: Line breaks on a "where allowed" basis
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 12:52:15 +0200

> Is there a way to get something like
> "Break at most where allowed by user"?

\once\autoLineBreaksOn ?

Thanks a lot - sometimes it's so easy... :-)

As for Thomas Morley's suggestion (setting penalties), this "sort of" works, but for me it created fewer line breaks, resulting in a not-so-pretty sqeezed layout.

> presentation, three to eight measures each; line breaks in the middle of an
> exercise being undesirable, and page breaks in the middle of an exercise
> being a no-go.)

\once\autoPageBreaksOn

But the latter will not work all that well since LilyPond chooses its
line breaks independently of its page breaks, so you'll only get a page
break when the permission coincides by chance with a line break.

This is not a problem in my case - there are plenty of "allowed" line breaks, and as long as every page break occurs only at an allowed line break (this sounds quite tautological to me), everything is fine.

Best
Lukas