Re: Center-align a score

From: Hendrik Fuß
Subject: Re: Center-align a score
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 09:53:36 +0000

Hi guys,

I'm seriously impressed! Thanks a million for all your input.

David N's solution works pretty well, although I, too, am having trouble with vertical positioning. In my attached min example, the lyrics came out wrong.

The example also gives an idea of the sort of thing I am trying to create. That is, short music snippets for teaching rhythm. In my actual sheet, I also used \stopStaff and \startStaff to put several rhythms on one line. Comments welcome.

cheers
Hendrik

Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> schrieb am Do., 27. Apr. 2017 um 17:34 Uhr:
Hi David,

> Notice that with the override, systems are placed lower on the page
> and the bottom margin is lost.

It’s not *quite* that simple, I think…

Using

\paper {
 ragged-right = ##t
 indent = 0
 system-system-spacing.padding = 2
 bottom-margin = 1\in
}

we see that most of the margin is kept, but there are still system-system collisions (cf. m 120). So systems are placed lower, yes, but with some awareness.

> The problem occurs with the call to ly:grob-extent.  In my experience,
> calling this function for the X-axis doesn't result in (visible) side
> effects, but here they are.

Maybe if you save the original Y-position, and then explicitly “reset” it afterwards, it will eliminate this problem? Still doesn’t explain what’s actually going on — which would be nice to know — but might fix this function.

Cheers,
Kieren.