Re: Chords in LilyPond

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Chords in LilyPond
Date: Thu, 25 May 2017 00:26:13 -0400

Hi Charles,

>> Which mode of input?
>>   \chordmode { c1:7 }
>> or
>>   { <c' e' g' bf'>1 }
>
> I think \chordmode will be the most useful form of input, because that way we
> know the user's intentions with the chords. It would be tough to infer the
> semantics from just the note input, which is essentially what happens now
> with the current naming process (which is what we are trying to fix)

Except <e bf g’ c''> contains a huge amount of information that cannot
currently be input in \chordmode (as far as I know).

Ultimately, as long as we end up with an input system robust enough to convey
that amount of information, I don’t particularly care whether it’s in
\chordmode or whatever.

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer