Re: partcombine and quote don't play well together

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: partcombine and quote don't play well together
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2017 19:28:48 +0200

> Hi David,
>
>>> Not sure if this was "I hit send early", or "teaching a man to
>> fish", or "+1"…?
>> It was "the principles of the mechanisms are incompatible".
>
> I thought that might be it…
>
> Coincidentally, I've long wanted to help spearhead and sponsor a
> "Grand Unified Partcombine Project".
> (Searching on the list, it seems like 2009 was my first "official"
> call for such a thing.)
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Is there some technical/coding reason that the principles of the
> two mechanisms *must* be incompatible? Put another way, could one (or
> both) be tweaked — or even rewritten (mostly or entirely) — such that
> the two mechanisms *aren't* incompatible?
>
> 2. Am I the only one who wants a killer part-combining framework? Is
> nobody else using it as much as I am (even in its highly-limited
> current state)?
>
> 3. Are there any programmers out there willing to work with me towards
> a really great partcombiner?

What does that mean?

Over the time span since 2009 a lot of partcombiner related issues
(partly rather complex stuff like making \once part of property
overrides in order to be able to properly deal with forced partcombine
decisions) have been tackled by various people in various issues without
your spearheading and sponsoring or even review comments getting
triggered.

And we are talking about significant additions and refactorings by Dan
Eble, important fixes and refactorings by myself, additions by Keith and
others, documentation work by Phil and Trevor and so on.  All that stuff
happened without any involvement or interest of you visible in the
trackers (at least on cursory inspection).

I'd put in my usual rant about the ungrateful and underpaid work to
improve infrastructure until user-accessible features become low-hanging
fruit and can be implemented for a smile and a song, but it is a bit
pointless since there aren't smiles and songs for those either.

I don't really see a lot happening apart from "people do what they want
to see done themselves".

In your case, you might want to take a look at add-quotable at the end
of scm/part-combiner.scm, see how you could possibly extract multiple
contexts from there, design a user interface for quoting those multiple
contexts resulting from a partcombine operation (or pick out a Lyrics
context instead of a Voice context) and go from there.

--
David Kastrup