Re: Moving a tempo mark to the right

From: Anthony Youngman
Subject: Re: Moving a tempo mark to the right
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2017 00:08:03 +0100

On 01/09/17 23:19, David Kastrup wrote:
Anthony Youngman <address@hidden> writes:

On 01/09/17 22:14, David Kastrup wrote:
Change the memory for known good memory, and the kernel
compiled fine.  No idea what Gcc does that memory test programs fail to
account for.

Have you come across the memory smashing exploit? I can't remember
much about it, but if you can hammer memory in your own VM, you can
actually corrupt memory in the next door VM. Even worse, you can
control the corruption with the intent of hacking into the VM!

I'm pretty certain there are proofs of concept out there. So I guess
gcc might be doing exactly that by accident to cheap memory (my RAM is
the "value" brand - paid about £13 per 4GB stick). When I think back
the first memory I ever bought was £50 for a 32*M*B stick :-)

The first memory I bought was about DM800 for 64kByte and I had to
solder it to the PCB myself, all 32 DIP packages.  And it needed +12V
and -5V rails in addition to the +5V rail to run.

Ouch!

£1 = 3DM roughly, iirc?

The first external data media I worked with was cardboard, and the
biggest longterm data storage peril were mice.  And I don't mean the
input devices but the rodents.

The first PC I *bought* was a Pentium (actually a 686), but seeing as I started work as a programmer immediately on leaving school I had access to old computers my employer(s) were scrapping.

The first piece of hardware I remember my employer buying was one of those 300MB drives - you know - the ones with the 10-platter diskpacks, and the size of a domestic fridge. It quadrupled our storage capacity!

Cheers,
Wol