Re: variable

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: variable
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2017 10:08:29 +0100

Gianmaria Lari <address@hidden> writes:

> On 24 November 2017 at 09:49, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Gianmaria Lari <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > I'm sorry for the trivial question but why this code is wrong?
>> >
>> > \version "2.19.80"
>> >
>> > music = {a b}
>> > \music
>> >

>> > My understanding was that "\music" is substituted by its value "{a
>> b}"....
>>
>> You need to put anything in between.  LilyPond looks at \music before
>> deciding the assignment is complete because the assignment could be
>>
>> music = {a b} \addlyrics {Oh well}
>>
>> For that it needs to decide what \music is but the assignment is not yet
>> complete...
>
> Thank you David!
>
> It is a bit frustrating.

If you think that is frustrating, try working on the parser.  I didn't
design that insane \addlyrics syntax.

> Even apparently simple things are complicated....  but that's ok.

Things are complicated _because_ of appearing simple.  Some simple
appearances are more complicated to do than others.

You would not want to write your music in Scheme syntax, and that would
be by far the simplest to make sense of.

I've worked on that late assignment nuisance a few times already.

--
David Kastrup