Re: variable

From: Gianmaria Lari
Subject: Re: variable
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2017 10:51:41 +0100

On 24 November 2017 at 10:15, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I'm sorry for the trivial question but why this code is wrong?
>>
>> \version "2.19.80"
>>
>> music = {a b}
>> \music
>>

>> My understanding was that "\music" is substituted by its value "{a
>> b}"....
>
> You need to put anything in between.  LilyPond looks at \music
> before deciding the assignment is complete because the assignment
> could be
>
>   music = {a b} \addlyrics {Oh well}
>
> For that it needs to decide what \music is but the assignment is not
> yet complete...

This is documented under `\addlyrics'.  Maybe it makes sense to add a
warning to the variable documentation (or the learning manual)...

Absolutely agree, it should be written also on the variable documentation. Probably it will not make big change because people expects things working as they suppose and easily forget details like this but.....
g.