Re: GSoC applications

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: GSoC applications
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2018 21:53:05 +0100

Am 09.01.2018 um 15:05 schrieb Kieren MacMillan:
Hi Urs,

I encourage, no, I urge everybody to look into their souls whether they might volunteer to mentor a project (not only those listed already but also new suggestions).
Any ideas you can think of that don’t require C++ or Scheme?

I assume this does *not* mean "gimme some Python"? :-/

I’d be happy to consider them…

Your question gave me some food for thought, and I came up with an idea that might turn out to become a brilliant move on many levels: On https://github.com/wbsoft/frescobaldi/wiki/GSoC-Guidelines#user-content-community-mentors I outlined a new inofficial GSoC role that I would like to install for this year: Community Mentors.

Community mentors are people like you who are experts in an area but not necessarily programmers. In a way they can act somewhat like product owners and scrum masters in agile development: they steer the discussion about the *use case* and the user facing design of features to be implemented. And they are responsible for keeping communication alive. In particular they should be responsible for keeping the user/developer community engaged in a project (by triggering discussions on the mailing lists). My experience in the last years showed me that most projects (and I explicitly include myself in this) tend to focus way too narrowly on the student and the mentor. Our students are not used (and often seemed too shy) to discuss with the community. As a result most projects are not actively visible for the community.

I think you could be such a community mentor for a number of projects. Some suggestions:

Think about it ...

Best
Urs

Thanks,