Re: GSoC applications

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: GSoC applications
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2018 15:15:19 -0500

Hi Urs,

> In theory the answer is simple: A good project for GSoC is something a
> student can achieve with three months of full-time work. Not more, but also
> not less.
> Generally, for larger projects it's beneficial if it can be somehow
> modularized, i.e. it should not be one monolithic feature that can just be
> completed or not. So if progress is slower there is simply less functionality
> completed rather than the whole thing failed.

I note that all the Lyric improvements are no longer listed as a GSoC project.
What's the reason there?

In addition to the stuff that Janek was actively working on — now quite a while
ago — there was a flurry of discussion not too long about about whether
LyricText could have some "fixed versus flexible" springs-and-rods
mechanism(s), so that lyrics don't always distort note-spacing. I think this
project would easily fill up three months of full-time work, but could also be
modularized.

That would be the project I most want to see completed (or at least
significantly tackled/advanced).

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer