Re: Pitch inflection

From: Graham Breed
Subject: Re: Pitch inflection
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2018 19:39:05 +0000

Thank you for your message. I am hoping to reproduce the arrow notation used by
the composer,
rather than substituting a different notational convention (which this composer
has employed in other pieces).
The fact that he implies a difference between a slightly lowered F & a slightly
raised E makes me think that he
is seeking to inflect the note rather than achieving an identifiable
quartertone. Thank you also for alerting me to the
resources you mentioned which I had not found.

You could use the Helmholtz-Ellis notation because the arrows are a subset of it and you haven't specified what the inflection should be so a comma should be good enough. But it should be simpler than that. The arrowed glyphs are in Lilypond's standard font. All you need is to define a new language with whatever pitch inflections you want, and a list of accidentals using the right glyphs. This should have been done before, or there's not much point in having the arrowed glyphs, but I don't know where.

There's some help at http://x31eq.com/lilypond/

             Graham