Re: OT: typewriter LaTeX package

From: Torsten Hämmerle
Subject: Re: OT: typewriter LaTeX package
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2018 13:59:31 -0700 (MST)

mskala wrote
> All present tense... there's no doubt that the narrow space is more common
> *today*, but typewritten documents in the typewriter era (which ended in
> roughly the 1980s) are not necessarily the same story.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that DIN 5008 dates back to 1928.
My mother, who has been professionally trained in the 1950s, confirmed that
using one space only was common German practice in the golden typewriter era
and this was officially taught.

Schmidt.jpg <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t3887/Schmidt.jpg>

Please find attached an original letter from (1978, *not* today). It's an
official letter by German chancellor Helmut Schmidt, so you can bet on it
that the typist was top-notch. I've marked the one-space gaps between
sentences in red.

Cheerio,
Torsten