Re: Is lilypond suitable for big composition projects?

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: Is lilypond suitable for big composition projects?
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 21:09:46 +0100

Am 22.03.2018 um 16:35 schrieb Jonas Daverio:
That may seem like a stupid question, but I've been using LilyPond with Frescobaldi for a year and a half, but I start to ask myself if it is as efficient as if I had used another tool like Musescore.

My answer tends to be "no". While I usually enter very simple examples (for theory classes etc.) directly into a lilypond source (but even on these occasions, I most often have some kind of source in front of me, for instance a piece from which I extract a bass part), serious "compositional" work is, for me, entirely a pencil-and-paper business. On the rare occasions where I want to "compose digitally", I prefer musescore (but this is mostly casual work where I don't care that much about the high level of typesetting Lilypond offers).

In particular, anybody who has seen the tremendous progress that playback in commercial engraving tools (i.e. Sibelius) has seen over the last 10 years or so will probably agree that, by comparison, Lilypond's MIDI output is only really suited for "proofreading by ear".

In short: For me, Lilypond is a wonderful tool to engrave music *that already exists in some written form*.

Best
Lukas