lmi

Re: [lmi] Converting...to svn? [Was: Savannah status]

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Converting...to svn? [Was: Savannah status]
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 03:03:04 +0000

On 2009-06-08 16:01Z, Greg Chicares wrote:

>  - I have to upgrade US systems to install subversion, and
>      Cygwin's 'setup' facility has proved to be quite brittle

Just one example of brittleness:

And the Cygwin installation procedure here:
  http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lmi/2007-12/msg00002.html
needed this change:
  http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lmi/2008-08/msg00010.html
but adding a command-line argument poses a formidable hurdle [0]
for msw users. I think it's better just to list the relatively
few packages we need, and revise the instructions to indicate
how to select them (with mouse clicks).

Here's a set that's slightly larger than sufficient to run
the 'install_msw.sh' script today:
  cvs        [soon we'll switch to svn, and drop this]
  doxygen    [someday the script will use it]
  gdb        [so we can ask for bt when a crash is reported]
  libtool
  make
  openssh    [required for developer access to savannah]
  patch
  rsync
  subversion
  wget
  zsh        [so much handier than bash]

Separately I'll document a tidy procedure for updating our ftp
area on savannah, where a new 'setup.ini' can now be found.
It's hard to test because it may take days to propagate to the
mirrors, and the canonical
  http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases-noredirect/lmi/setup.ini
doesn't seem to work in Cygwin's 'setup.exe'.

Here, for archival purposes, is the essential line from the
original 'setup.ini':

requires: autoconf2.5 automake automake1.10 automake1.4 automake1.5 automake1.6
automake1.7 automake1.8 automake1.9 binutils boost boost-devel bzip2 cvs
cygrunsrv cygutils diffutils doxygen gawk
gcc-core gcc-g++ gcc-mingw-core gcc-mingw-g++ gdb gettext less libboost
libbz2-devel libbz2_1 libltdl3 libncurses-devel libncurses5 libncurses6
libncurses7 libncurses8 libtool1.5 libxml2 libxml2-devel
libxslt m4 make mingw-bzip2 mingw-runtime ncurses openssh openssl patch
pkg-config time w32api wget zsh

It'd be nicer to have this under version control, but that's
not the way Cygwin's 'setup.exe' works, AFAICT. BTW, the
original 'setup.ini' had this line:
  source: release/lmi/lmi-1.tar.bz2 0 d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e
whose meaning I've forgotten. I wonder whether it ever really
meant anything, because the apparent md5sum appears here, too:
  http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lmi/2008-11/msg00004.html
in a context that seems different, and an accidental md5sum
collision would be unlikely...unless...
  touch eraseme
  md5sum eraseme
  d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e *eraseme
Heh. It's definitely meaningless. I guess the idea was that
someday there'd be a non-empty source tarball there.

---------

[0] "adding a command-line argument poses a formidable hurdle"

OTOH, if we could specify everything we need on the command line,
that'd be okay. But the '-P' option described here:
isn't yet in the current production release.