lmi

Re[2]: [lmi] Converting...to svn? [Was: Savannah status]

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re[2]: [lmi] Converting...to svn? [Was: Savannah status]
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 18:59:56 +0200

On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 16:01:02 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> $lzma -dk svn.dump.lzma
GC> $ls -o
GC> total 530504
GC> -rwxrwxrwx 1 chicares 534708707 Jun  8 13:19 svn.dump
GC> -rwxrwxrwx 1 chicares   8520689 Jun  8 13:19 svn.dump.lzma
GC>
GC> Is it really supposed to be half a gigabyte?

 I think it is: the format used for the dump is a quasi-text one (but,
rather surprisingly, not _quite_ text as it may use inconsistent line
endings and so editing it in a text editor is not recommended according to
svn documentation) and not compressed at all.

GC> Thank goodness for lzma.

 Indeed. I chose this format because the space gain compared to bz2 was
noticeable.

GC> When I checked it out, thus:
GC>   svn checkout file:///lmi/checkouts/recovery/tmp/
GC> the result in 'trunk' matched a cvs checkout perfectly, except:
GC>  - svn has a '.bzrignore' file;

 Sorry, I didn't notice it, I should have deleted it before starting the
import. But hopefully it's not a big problem to just delete it ("svn rm"
works straightforwardly and doesn't play any strange games in the attic
unlike cvs).

GC> Should I use `svn propset svn:ignore -F .cvsignore .` to migrate the
GC> old '.cvsignore' file?

 Yes. If you plan to use svn for other projects however you may prefer to
put some patterns in it (at least autom4te.cache and *.sw? should
definitely be always ignored) to your global-ignores option in svnconfig.
And if you do this you could remove them from .cvsignore before running
propset (although nothing bad will happen if they're present in both
places).

GC>  - every file in 'trunk' bears the time and date when I ran the
GC>    checkout command; is that actually irrelevant, or must I
GC>    create a 'pre-revprop-change' hook and run 'svnsync'?

 Sorry, I don't know why did this happen (and didn't even notice it neither
:-(). If you already found a recipe to make it work with svnsync it should
probably be used, otherwise I can try to understand what happened here
myself.

GC> At any rate, I think the end of the month will be a better time
GC> to convert the online repository, because:

 As running the conversion script worked relatively well and quickly, I can
redo it at any time you want. Of course, if I have to rerun it anyhow I'd
try to fix the above mentioned problems before doing it again.

 For now I'll resume mirroring cvs repository in bzr here.

 Regards,
VZ