lmi

Re: [lmi] InputSequence questions

From: Vaclav Slavik
Subject: Re: [lmi] InputSequence questions
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 16:34:30 +0200

Hi,

here's another build of the demo, with some changes:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1978132/seq_entry_demo-v2.7z

On Fri, 2010-04-02 at 10:11 +0200, Vaclav Slavik wrote:
> > If I pick "for # years" from the combobox, I observe a repaint
> > issue. The combobox's drop-down arrow is painted into the left
> > end of the textcontrol to its right, obscuring the number entered
> > there. It looks like that number has vanished, though it hasn't
> > really.
>
> This can probably be dealt with a by an extra Refresh() call; more
> interesting would be understanding why it happens.
>
> > If I change the to-maturity default, another row is automatically
> > added, as intended. But the second row's combobox is about fifty
> > pixels high.
>
> I suspect there's some bug in size-determination code that shows up when
> called at the time the choice's popup window is still visible -- this
> bug doesn't happen if using keyboard to change choice's value.

Both of these bugs seem to be specific to wxWidgets trunk; the
executable above built against 2.8-svn doesn't suffer from them as far
as I can tell.

> Here's an idea for the "from" column: instead of the current text, find
> the preceding endpoint expressed in _absolute_ terms, and express "from"
> relative to it:
>
>    from issue date           until [retirement]
>    from retirement           until [for # years] [  5]
>    from retirement + 5 yrs   until [for # years] [ 10]
>    from retirement + 15 yrs  until [maturity]
>
> What do you think?

I implemented this so that you can see it in action.

> > I imagine there's a default context for the input sequence, e.g.,
> > issue age zero and so on.
>
> I don't know, is there? That is, do we know these parameters everywhere
> input sequences are edited?

...but not yet this.

> > The grammar for the "from X until" phrase is simple, so
> > I think we can determine a width that would always suffice. It'd
> > be helpful to see that in the demo so that we can judge whether
> > that width appears excessive when the phrase is short (but I
> > suspect that won't be a problem).

See the demo above. The dialog looks ugly for the simplest form of
sequences, but anything else works well.

Vaclav