lmi

Re: [lmi] 72 chars for git log messages [Was: Improved input-sequence ed

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] 72 chars for git log messages [Was: Improved input-sequence editor]
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 00:36:19 +0200

On Sun, 29 May 2016 16:00:16 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2016-05-29 13:22, Greg Chicares wrote:
GC> > On 2016-05-28 18:16, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> [...quickly agreeing for once...]
GC> > so I'm satisfied if we agree never to write any line longer than
seventy-two
GC> > characters anywhere.
GC>
GC> BTW, I'm going to add a number in square brackets to the first line of
GC> any commit message that changes the defect count that 'test_coding_rules'
GC> reports.

 Could we please document this somewhere? coding_guidelines.txt (or .md) or
maybe even directly in the README itself? I could, of course, do it myself,
but I don't know where would you prefer to do this and you would certainly
be able to document your decisions more precisely than I could. OTOH if we
could have a start of such guidelines, I could help with extending it and
formalizing some of the currently unwritten rules in the future.

 Thanks in advance,
VZ