lmi

Re: [lmi] Improved input-sequence editor

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Improved input-sequence editor
Date: Sat, 28 May 2016 01:40:18 +0000

On 2016-05-13 00:35, Greg Chicares wrote:
> Reference:
>   https://github.com/vadz/lmi/pull/25/

And pull/26 too. I've pushed all those changes. The only alteration I ma
de
was reformatting the commit messages to shorten lines thus:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2290016/git-commit-messages-50-72-formatting

> I've applied these changes locally to test them. The group-quote
> redesign will be released soon

Done.

>, and I don't think we should commit
> this patchset #25 until after that release, but I'd like to make
> some comments now.
[...]
> (1) When I pop up the tabbed input dialog (instead of editing in
> the wxDataView census manager directly) and focus an input-sequence
> control (without opening the input-sequence editor), the "OK"
> pushbutton is highlighted, and I expect that (as previously)
> pressing Enter will push "OK". But it does nothing. Instead, I think
> Enter really should press "OK".

This is what bothers me most.

> (2) If I have a really long input sequence (100 or 200 characters)
> and I've set "varying" column width, the field is too long to fit
> on one screen: I need to scroll rightward to get to the ellipsis

Less important, and perhaps impossible to "fix".

> (2)(a) Another observation about case (2): after I close the
> sequence editor, I see an apparent layout anomaly.

Less important.

> (3) We may want to think more about the tab order. While editing
> a sequence with 35 elements, try using the keyboard to navigate
> to the button that removes the seventh.

I'll have to think about that some more. This tab order was chosen
deliberately, as documented in the code, and if it's the best order
for short sequences, then maybe no change should be made at all.