lmi

Re: [lmi] 72 chars for git log messages

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] 72 chars for git log messages
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 14:57:41 +0200

On Mon, 30 May 2016 12:42:45 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2016-05-29 22:36, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> [...]
GC> > GC> BTW, I'm going to add a number in square brackets to the first line of
GC> > GC> any commit message that changes the defect count that
'test_coding_rules'
GC> > GC> reports.
GC> >
GC> >  Could we please document this somewhere?
GC>
GC> It's documented in 'ChangeLog':

 Sorry, I don't follow. Does this mean that the git commit messages should
be written in the same format as the changelog entries? I don't object to
this (although for me it would be much more natural to just generate
changelog from git log then), but this doesn't seem to be the case right
now as there are several minor differences, e.g.

1. Width of text: 70 vs 72
2. Presence (or not) of the period in the first line
3. In fact, presence of the summary line at all

 I realize that you can (will?) always fix up my commits, but I think it
would still be better if you didn't need to do it at least for the commit
message, so it would be nice to clearly fix the expected format for it.

 Thanks in advance,
VZ