loongson-buildfarm

Re: [lemote] Re: Build farm down / building fuloong farms (was: Re: [loo

From: Philippe Vachon
Subject: Re: [lemote] Re: Build farm down / building fuloong farms (was: Re: [loongson-buildfarm] build farm down ?)
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 01:00:19 -0500

On 2010-02-15, at 12:35 AM, Richard Stallman wrote:

>    As a side note, I think deblobbing PMON will be fairly simple --
>    just delete the file with the VGA BIOS code in it (vgarom.c in the
>    Bonito directory, under Targets) in it and then disable the config
>    option that enables VGA output (probably commenting out 'select
>    mod_vgacon' in the Bonito config will be enough, but I haven't
>    tried).
>
> Could someone please explain to me what this implies?
> What does this blob do -- and what will fail to work when it is removed?

In the case of the Fuloong, this would mean that at least PMON's diagnostic
output would not be visible via a monitor connected to the VGA port. I am
unsure of the ramifications of this with Linux, for example, as the kernel
might have code to initialize the device on its own. If not, video might not
work correctly in Linux.

Cheers,
Phil