lout-users

missing Lout math signs

From: Basile STARYNKEVITCH
Subject: missing Lout math signs
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 14:20:43 +0100

Hello All,
Hello Jeff,

I think that there are some missing Lout math signs. For instance, (at
least in France at college) it is customary to write
f: R -> R
   x |-> ax + b

To say that F is a function from R to R sending an arbitrary x to
ax+b. Notice that the first arrow has no tail, but the second one has
a vertical tail (not higher than the arrow head). I didn't found this
tailed arrow sign.

In latex2e the first arrow is \rightarrow (@Eq{-->} in Lout) and the
second one is \mapsto (i'm missing \mapsto in Lout)

Also the letters N,Z,Q,R,C when denoting the set of naturals (N),
signed integers (Z), rationals numbers (Q), real numbers (R), complex
numbers (C) have usually an overstroken body. For instance, in N the
diagonal is actually doubled.

In latex2e these lettters are available thru \Bbb (blackboard bold
alphabet).

Very probably other people are missing other signs (I still think that
Lout has a long way to go to achieve LaTeX2e results in higher
mathematic typography).

Thanks for reading.

N.B. Any opinions expressed here are solely mine, and not of my organization.
N.B. Les opinions exprimees ici me sont personnelles et n engagent pas le CEA.

Basile STARYNKEVITCH   ----  Commissariat à l Energie Atomique
DRN/DMT/SERMA * CEA/Saclay bat.470 * 91191 GIF/YVETTE CEDEX * France
fax: (33) 01,69.08.85.68; phone: 01,69.08.40.66; home: 01,46.65.45.53
email: address@hidden (or else address@hidden);
I speak french, english, russian. Je parle français, anglais, russe.