lout-users

Re: lout output in ghostscript

From: rafal polonski
Subject: Re: lout output in ghostscript
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 18:00:31 +0200

On Sun, Oct 03, 1999 at 02:30:07AM +0400, Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 02, 1999 at 04:54:04PM +0200, Hanu? Adler wrote:
>
> > Where could I get the font, or more fonts,
>
>     CTAN:fonts/psfonts/polish
Qpalladio and Times are modified fonts donated to Ghostscript
distribution by URW++. Polish TeXperts included polish diacritics into them
and made them GPL. beside these 2 there is  "Antykwa Torunska"
digitized "pure polish" font. It can be suitable for presentations,
or artistic text. Unfortunatelly it comes with Roman, Slope, Bold and NOT
Bold-Slope. Works nicely with Lout.
I hope in the middle of october will be available a new font "Antykwa
Poltwaskiego" on the same licence with polish glyphs as well.

And of course fonts from TeX distribution can be used. Polish TeXperts
made available Postscript version of all bitmaped fonts coming with TeX.
they are in plpsfont catalog.

P.S I am wondering if anyone tried to convert Unicode TrueType fonts and
use it with Lout. Microsoft has on their page few 'free' fonts which
probably could be used legally only in Windows but it would be great to
have them coverted to Type1.
I tried ttf2pfb wich comes with FreeType distribution, but I am afraid
that ttf2pfb doesn't like in this time Unicode fonts.
Probably as suggested Uwe commercial software as Fontlab should be used.
Uwe pointed me to nice Type1 font "Literaturnaya" which has cyrillic and
Latin2 support.
ftp://ftp.vsu.ru/pub/tex/literat.zip - licence quiet restricted but is is
handy to have them installed.
I didn't have opportunity to use Literaturnay'a but I'll tell you about
effects with mixing cyrillic and latin2. (BDW Does anyone has some links
about various Postscrip internals (font encoding, recoding etc.)

P.S2 When I started using Lout I missed automatic embedding fonts into PS
document. But now I think it ok to have small postscript file, fonts in
ghostscript catalog, apropriate Fontmap tuning and using includeres to
embed them whenever I want.
have a nice day.