lout-users

Suppressing ligatures while keeping kerning?

From: Stephan Pabst
Subject: Suppressing ligatures while keeping kerning?
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 16:40:56 +0200

Hi all,

I am currently looking for a way to disable ligatures
in certain words while not suppressing kerning as well.

For example, the letters "fl" within the German word
"Auflage" (edition) should not be replaced by a ligature,
because this is a compound word ("Auf" and "lage" are
independent German words).  However, writing {Auf}{lage}
instead will also suppress kerning - this looks quite
ugly especially when using an italic font.

The only solution I have found so far is editing the
resulting Postscript file manually...  Can anybody
think of a better solution?
Greetings,

Stephan Pabst