lout-users

Re: Suppressing ligatures while keeping kerning?

From: Michael Piotrowski
Subject: Re: Suppressing ligatures while keeping kerning?
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 21:04:24 +0200

Reimer Behrends <address@hidden> writes:

> Stephan Pabst wrote:
>
>>  I am currently looking for a way to disable ligatures
>> in certain words while not suppressing kerning as well.

This is actually a serious problem for German; I first wondered why I
hadn't noticed it earlier, but I'm almost always using typefaces
without ligatures.

> The quickest way, I think, would be to remove ligature information
> from the AFM file.

That's a good idea.  You'd probably also have to add kerning pairs for
these combinations.

This way, one can reverse the default behavior, i.e., instead of
suppressing inappropriate ligatures you would explicitly request
ligatures where you need them, e.g.,

  address@hidden address@hidden fl}asche

Hmm, some macros might be useful--or some linguistics to automate it
(Yannis Haralambous has done something like this).

Greetings

--
Michael Piotrowski, M.A.                               <address@hidden>
Public key at <http://www.dynalabs.de/mxp/pubkey.txt>