Re: [Ltib] Freescale vs LTIB community

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Freescale vs LTIB community
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 10:42:17 +0100

Hi Svein,

Svein Seldal wrote:
Hi

We are considering to base our next product (I am working in a major medical company) on a Freescale system. LTIB is indirectly chosen since this is the system Freescale's BSP is using. So for assurance reasons, please let me raise some questions to the LTIB community:

What is the relationship between Freescale and the LTIB community?

I'm the maintainer of LTIB and used to work at Freescale until April this year. Work continues on LTIB as before. If you look at CVS history since then you'll see plenty of changes by me, plus quite a few from contributors to the list and/or directly to CVS. This includes: autodeploy improvements, addition of 2 new platforms, package updates and new packages.

I see lots of (C) Freescale in the LTIB code, and I also see Stuart's address with a freescale.com suffix. Are you (Stuart) an employee of Freescale? (Nothing bad about that, don't get me wrong.)

I used to be, not any more. I am with http://zee2.com/ who are independent consultants and are happy to provide consultancy, support and other professional services for LTIB and other embedded systems.

I see that the LTIB is merging from Freescale's repository regularly. Is this going both ways? Are Freescale pulling from the LTIB? I mean, if we contribute with code/fixed/enhancement to the LTIB, would this make it _into_ Freescale's release at some point?

I used to do the merge outs from Freescale to Savannah, at that time the main development was happening inside Freescale. I also used to merge contributions from Savannah back into the Freescale tree so they stayed aligned. You need to talk to someone at Freescale to figure out what they're doing now.

Who's driving the development (i.e. new packets/ports, enhancements, etc)? Is the development driven internally from Freescale, while the LTIB community is just tagging along, or does it work both ways?

As the maintainer, I am driving certain development features. Others make changes according to their requirements. I welcome contributions from everyone, whether corporations or individuals.

Regards, Stuart