[Ltib] Tip: How to configure sudo properly

From: Svein Seldal
Subject: [Ltib] Tip: How to configure sudo properly
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2009 21:08:30 +0200

Hi guys

I'd like to share a small experience with sudo -- it not directly linked to LTIB, but it's for all you guys out there struggeling with similar symptoms. For the record I'm running Ubuntu Jaunty (9.04).

I had a problem with sudo where it kept asking me for password, even despite it was properly configured.

You can list the valid sudo commands with:

$ sudo -l
User foobar may run the following commands on this host:
    (root) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/rpm
    (root) NOPASSWD: /opt/freescale/ltib/usr/bin/rpm
    (ALL) ALL

Here's the catch 22: The "(ALL) ALL" line MUST be located above our NOPASSWD lines. I below, the ALL specifier will override the NOPASSWD commands and thus re-request a password. Hence the output must look something like this:

$ sudo -l
User foobar may run the following commands on this host:
    (ALL) ALL
    (root) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/rpm
    (root) NOPASSWD: /opt/freescale/ltib/usr/bin/rpm

Just make sure the NOPASSWD lines are at the bottom of the sudoers file. It will save you time and annoance!

Best regards,
Svein