Re: [Ltib] Adding libraries to host tool chain

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Adding libraries to host tool chain
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 10:56:08 +0100

Hi Mike,

During a build the compiler is spoofed, this means that calls to gcc refer to the cross compiler for the target. This is not just an alias, it implicitly wires up root/usr/{include,lib} and sets up pkg-config to use the rootfs area.

For packages that need to build executables to run on the build machine, they normally refer to this in a different way (HOSTCC is a popular Makefile variable). In LTIB, the build machines compiler is referenced using the environment variable BUILDCC, so often you'll see in spec files: make HOSTCC="$BUILDCC"

You can override this behaviour within the spec file using:
export PATH=$UNSPOOF_PATH you can restore it (later) using:
export PATH=$SPOOF_PATH

gdb.spec is a good example that shows this kind of thing.

NOTE: the %configure, %build, %install sections are independent of each other in spec files and so changes in one don't persist to another.

If you have spec file, you may submit them to the list. Before you do though it would be best if you have them working locally. Also please send with your email:

  * Which baseline LTIB you are using (ideally the latest Savannah CVS)
  * An explanation of what you are trying to do.

Regards, Stuart

Mike Goins wrote:
I have been trying to fix boost to get to build.  I did create a
boost-header.spec which just copies the headers from boost into the
rootfs.  That in itself will give you 99% of the boost functionality.
 I have had almost success in a full library build using the local
copy bjam.  This was to get around  a bjam compile problem in the -m
scbuild process in which the booststrap, jam0, ends up cross-compiled,
but it should be natively built by the local gcc even thought the
build  log showed the call as "gcc .......".   Is there something
about the -m scbuild process that hides the native compiler?    Could
there be environment variables in this process that affect native
compiling (CFLAGS)?   If so, how do get access to my native gcc?

Sorry, I seem to be full of questions.   I do have about a dozen new
spec files and some patches that should work.  Can I just start
submitting them to the list?

Thanks again!