[Ltib] Release numbers on spec-files

From: Svein Seldal
Subject: [Ltib] Release numbers on spec-files
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 22:42:49 +0200

Hi all

Is there a policy when the release number is bumped up in a spec file? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the idea of release numbers that if you change the spec file, adds patches, etc. then you should bump the release number? Because it _could_ (humble me) seem like there's a lot of updates where this isn't practiced...

I'm sitting here trying to merge two ltib trees; One Freescale BSP (based on an older unknown ltib version) and a LTIB CVS head, and I see a lot of changes (albeit most of them small) in spec files but often no change in release numbers. In this case it's actually difficult to learn the source of the changes: It may come from changes in the fsl branch or in the ltib CVS branch. (If I had the two branches common ancestor, I'd be able to separate the source of the change, but that's a different discussion.)

- Svein