Re: [Ltib] Which version of LTIB

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Which version of LTIB
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 11:11:52 +0100

Hi Svein,

Please do send a request to Freescale, this may help. I'm not how actively they follow this list.

Regards, Stuart

Svein Seldal wrote:
Hi Stuart,

Well basically my main motivation for wanting to merge out Freescale's iMX BSP is because we would like to use the newest Savannah CVS LTIB version and not the one included in the BSP. The Savannah LTIB will give us a newer LTIB and a handful of newer packages not linked to the BSP.

It's actually much harder for us to contribute with updates and fixes to packages if we are working on older versions of packages compared the the HEAD Savannah versions.

I have to admit that I have not asked Freescale to merge out the BSP. I can submit a request for this if you like. Do you BTW know if Freescale is actively pursuing this list (and read this thread)?

- Svein

Stuart Hughes wrote:
Hi Svein,

I do think getting BSP updates would be helpful to the community and a useful way for Freescale to make their content available.

From my point of view the changes you show fall into two distinct classes:

   * BSP specific: config/platform/imx + kernel/bootloader spec files.
   * Common area changes: for example under dist/lfs-5.1

In my view it's Freescale's job to track Savannah CVS and submit their changes against that in the same way that anyone else would. For the BSP specific parts, this would be a simple process as I trust their judgement in these areas. For the common areas they would need to justify their changes (they would need to have reasons for the changes).

So far as the GPP content goes that is somewhat different inasmuch that Freescale's content is reviewed before upload using a system I put in place and so this is semi-automated and I trust it.

So really what you ask comes down to the willingness of Freescale to apply the necessary resources to stay in sync with this project and deliver updates. I can try getting in contact and asking them to do this. However a direct request by users Freescale via their support team may have more success.

Regards, Stuart

Svein Seldal wrote:
Hi

Freescale released a BSP 2.6.26-3.4.2 on the Mar 23 2009 for the i.MX family. It adds support for the 27ads, 31ads, 31_3stack, 35_3stack, 37_3stack, 51_3stack reference kits. This release includes a handful of updates to existing software in LTIB. Maybe most importantly it adds support for the xxx_3stack targets, which LTIB CVS Head dont.

Freescale has not uploaded any of the modifications of LTIB nor the GPL packages to Savannah CVS/GPP (yet at least). I would personally like to see that it is included into the community LTIB. I've washed away all non-free code from the release and have now a set of patches ready for deployment.

Is this something you guys want at all? Or is this Freescale's job? If you do want it, how should I proceed with this? Should I send the entire change in a big patch, or should I divide it into like target config, one for each package, etc.

Before sending any patches, please let me outline the changes involved. Following is a list of all the ltib files involved after washing and further down is a list of the new packages that are not present in the GPP.

(I don't expect we want all of these changes, we'd have to review them individually. Nor do I expect we can import the imx/ directory straight into the config/platform directory -- I would guess another structure would be preferred. This is exactly the kind of advice and guidance I would like, please.)

- Svein