Re: [Ltib] Idea: Binary lpp pool?

From: Svein Seldal
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Idea: Binary lpp pool?
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 17:11:30 +0200

Mike Goins wrote:
I would love a local staging area for prebuilt rpms since all our
developers will be using identical build systems.   Is there a way to
get ltib to check in the way it does for %ppp_url and %gpp_url in
.ltibrc for prebuilt binaries?   If it is not already there there then
I would definitely add it myself.

I agree. And we will make a similar patch for ltib with the same functionality. Maybe we should team up, even if this doesn't end up in the official ltib?

Another reason for us to have a prebuilt staging area is because it can then be part of our internal binary release process. We are going to make a number of different products based on the same HW, and all of these products will have different package composition.

I am considering to add support of opkg which is a lightweight, small footprint deb packaging system for embedded linux. This way you can add or remove packages from the running embedded linux on the fly. However, I'm not sure how this fits into the LTIB picture yet. I'll have to investigate a little more.

BTW: I have been using opkg with great success in Linksys Linux routers (which is a 200MHz Mips with 16Mb RAM and 4Mb flash system), so I know it works for small embedded systems. The OpenWrt (http://openwrt.org/) is using this system.

- Svein